Pressure washers may run on electrical motors or gas-powered engines. Like all gasoline engines, the pressure washer also has the carburetor necessary for the engine’s operation. Dirty or clogged carburetors can disturb pressure washers’ performance, resulting in the decrease of water pressure, failure to start, or trouble working. The dirty carburetor can also cause more fuel intake than necessary, which would result in inefficiency. Cleaning the carburetor is required at least once a year to ensure the smooth operations of the pressure washer.
In this article, we are going to discuss the cleaning process of the carburetor and why it is necessary.
How Important The Carburetor Cleaning Is?
The carburetor is the component of the gasoline engine that ensures that the gas and the air are mixing correctly before going into the piston or the combustion chamber. The average ratio of air to fuel is about 12:1, but if the carburetor is clogged or dirty, it can not maintain that. The result would be the signs that tell you to clean the carburetor to avoid significant damage.
The first and most apparent sign of carburetor clogging is the failure to start or taking time to start. Other signs indicate carburetor cleaning, such as popping or sneezing sounds from the carburetor. Black smoke is the symbol of excess fuel burning, and it demonstrates that the carburetor should be cleaned on an urgent basis. If the carburetor is clogged, it can also result in the leaking of fuel from it. The malfunctioning engine is also the symbol of carburetor blocking, and this should be addressed quickly before it starts to overheat, and other components also start to fail.
Steps Of Cleaning Pressure Washer’s Carburetor
The cleaning of the pressure washer carburetor is not so different from cleaning the standard carburetors; there are just extra precautions that need to be followed. Make sure to turn the water supply off and disconnect the pressure washer from any water source. Drain out the unnecessary fuel to avoid spills. These are the steps to clean the carburetor efficiently.
- Remove the spark plug cap and turn the fuel supply that is coming to the carburetor by turning off the fuel valve.
- Now gently start to remove the cover of the carburetor, and make sure to secure all the screws. Also, remove the air filter box and make your way to the carburetor.
- Now find the gas pipe that is supplying the fuel to the carburetor from the fuel tank. Now remove the fuel pipe connection from the carburetor and discard the old fuel that is accumulated in it. Make sure to have the arrangements to gather the dripping fuel; otherwise, it will make the surface dirty.
- After removing all the fuel from the carburetor, check the carburetor to point out leaks or damages such as corrosion or cracks. If you point out any of these, make sure to replace the carburetor, as repairing is not recommended.
- If you do not find any damages, then the carburetor is clear to reuse.
- Clean all the components of the carburetor with carburetor cleaner; you can also use recommended soap or detergent with water to clean it. Make sure that the detergent or soap that you are using does not corrode or damage the surface of the carburetor.
- Clean all the parts, including the rubber parts and attachments.
- Now rinse the carburetor in the water to drain all the soap and dry each piece separately.
- When you are sure that every drop of water is dried, you can reassemble the carburetor, reconnect all the pieces together and inspect it thoroughly.
- Fill the pressure washer with new gasoline and start it by following the regular procedure.
- Check the carburetor for any leaks or unnecessary sounds. If you notice them, immediately turn off the pressure washer.
Cleaning the carburetor is recommended at least once a year to remove any dirt or debris. The clogged carburetor is not recommended to use in any conditions because it damages other vital parts of the engine. Cleaning the carburetor is not so complicated, and you just need some standard tools and a carburetor cleaner. By cleaning the carburetor, you just not only increase the engine life, but the cleaning quality is also improved.