Rust stains on a concrete surface can be tough to remove, and many people do not realize that just pressure washing them might not be enough to get the job done efficiently. The most significant problem in removing the rust stains is that they penetrate inside the concrete surface, making them harder to remove, and using too much pressure damages the concrete. If you have also tried removing the rust from concrete but failed, there are high chances that your strategy is incorrect, and you need a better plan, and by program, we do not mean a high power pressure washer.
In this article, we will discuss the methods to remove rust stains from concrete with a pressure washer.
Pressure Washing Rust Stains From Concrete
It is better to treat the surface of the concrete with some detergent or cleaner that would lose the grip of the stain. Rust penetrates the feeling, so the use of cleaner will lift the colors from the pores of the concrete. Based on the type of stains and rusts that you are dealing with. We have divided the rust removal from concrete into two categories.
Minor Rust Stains
Do not treat the concrete surface with heavy cleaning agents if you do not have to. Painted and acid-treated concrete may get destroyed and lose its appearance when using high concentration detergent and cleaning agents. Try to remove the stains from natural products such as vinegar or lemon juice. If you are having trouble using them all by themselves, you can also use some detergent.
- First, clear out any removable dust and debris with the pressure washer. A layer of dirt can prevent the solution from reacting effectively.
- Apply the lemon juice pure to the stained area and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure that there are no soap traces left from the previous washes. Lemon juice is a natural acid with excellent anti-rust properties.
- Now use the pressure washer to wipe out the lemon and the stain. If the color remains, then there is no need to worry.
- Reapply the lemon juice again and leave it for 15 more minutes. If you do not see any progress in the forest attempt, you should use vinegar, which is also a cleaning agent and better than lemon juice in terms of performance.
- Repeat the process with vinegar the same way. You must use lemon juice first.
Major Rust Stains
If all the natural cleaning methods of rust removal have failed, then it is time to pull out the big guns. The stains are significant and should be treated with chemical-based solid agents. One thing to note is to use the chemicals with the most precautions as they can ruin the surface and damage the persons’ skin. Make sure to use Personal Protective Equipment when dealing with them. The best chemical cleaner is oxalic acid which provides active ingredients to clean the surface. You can also use hydrochloric acid and trisodium phosphate in the diluted course form.
Read the precautions and warnings on the container and avoid leaving these cleaning agents on the surface for too long as it can lead to discoloration. Use the acid with water and if it is trouble removing the stain, try increasing the concentration.
- First, clean any removable dirt and debris from the surface of the concrete with the help of a pressure washer. Dust is the barrier to the working of the cleaning agent, and it should be removed first. Suppose you have used any other cleaning agent previously, such as lemon juice or soap.
- Remove them entirely as they can react with acid. It is better to leave the area to dry, so the acid reacts better.
- Now apply the acid to the surface in light of guidance on the container. Let the acid react with the stain for some time. 3 to 5 minutes would be long enough in this case.
- Now pressure washes the color with medium pressure and checks if the paint is there.
- If some part of the stain is left, repeat the process with the same procedure. Please do not increase the acid concentration or sitting time unless you feel it is unnecessary.
Thus, after a huge yet in-depth analysis, we came to the point that pressure washers are the requirement of today’s world, which helps clean the outer surfaces and clean the rust stains from concrete. However, some methods need to be strictly followed to get the perfect results.
- 10 Best Budget Pressure Washer 2023 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide - December 7, 2022
- 10 Best Pressure Washer for Cars Wash Reviews  - December 6, 2022
- 10 Best Commercial Pressure Washer 2023 –Buyer’s Guide - December 5, 2022