Cleaning the driveways can be a nightmare when using the brush and bucket, and it can take days, if not years, to clean them completely.
Driveways get dirty very frequently, but that is the area that should be cleaned most because it is the front of the house.
Concrete is not easy to clean, and there are a lot of complexities in cleaning them, especially when there is some oil spill or grease stain on them.
The best and probably the only way of cleaning the concrete driveways, sidewalks, and patios is the pressure washer and not just any kind of pressure washer but a quite powerful one.
What Psi Pressure Washer Is Used To Clean Concrete?
A pressure washer with a 3000 psi supply is required to clean the concrete effectively, and it is not available in most household pressure washers. Cleaning the concrete even with the high power pressure washer is not an easy task, and you have to make some preparation first.
How To Clean Concrete Using The Pressure Washer?
When using the pressure washer to clean the concrete, use extreme precautions. These are the steps to clean the concrete surface with the pressure washer.
- Turn the pressure washer on and let it run for some time.
- If you are using the gas-powered pressure washer, ensure that all the valves and knobs are in the correct place.
- Start using the pressure washer from the highest point and make your way down while cleaning it.
- Keep the want at least 12 to 15 inches away from the surface. Getting too close to the surface can damage it.
- Keep a steady hand when using the pressure washer and move back and forth across the concrete.
- You can repeat the process 2 to 3 times based on the need and the cleaning effect.
How To Clean With Low Powered Pressure Washer?
It is recommended to use about 3000 psi pressure washers to clean the concrete, but most household pressure washers only offer about 2600 to 2800 psi. This can also be used to clean the concrete, but you need some extra steps.
- Apply the degreaser or the concrete cleaner before cleaning and let it rest for about an hour.
- Use the narrow-angle tips to achieve the best cleaning effects.
- Use warm or hot water if possible.
Cleaning with a pressure washer is a dangerous task, and it can be easily understood by the fact that about 400 psi pressure is considered dangerous for humans, and the pressure washer has a pressure of 3000 psi. These are the safety precautions that must be followed before using the pressure washer to clean the concrete
- Use long pants and sturdy and fully covered shoes.
- Avoid using the half sleeves shirt and, if possible, wear some layerings
- Wear safety gloves and safety glasses
- Avoid using the pressure washer if there is any error or fault.
- Do not use the pressure washer on the unstable surface.
- Ensure that all the connections are tight and in place, especially in the gas-powered pressure washer.
- Do not use the pressure washer too close to the surface.
- Never use the pressure washer without the water
- Do not run the pressure washer in stand by position for too long (power is on, but water is not discharging)
- Make sure that the water source can provide the amount of water needed, and if it does not, the pressure washer will catch the air, and there are high chances of damage.
Tips And Tricks For Better Cleaning
To clean the concrete surface effectively, follow these guidelines
- Use the rotary nozzle instead of the standard fan nozzle. The fan nozzle deflects the water with the angle to produce the fan pattern. On the other hand, rotary nozzle spins an undeflected water jet that results in greater speed of water
- Use the wheel-mounted cleaner to clean the surface in less time and energy.
- Use the hot water pressure washer cleaner, increasing the dirt removal rate.
- Use some concrete cleaner and degrease before cleaning to achieve the best cleaning effects.
Concrete cleaning requires a high rate of water and a high power pressure washer. It is a tricky job that requires many skills and safety precautions. With proper techniques and tricks, you can clean the concrete surfaces with better efficiency and in less time.
Jose Kelly is a passionate part time blogger running multiple Pressure Washer for Rent stores and have a company providing cleaning services with pressure washers in her hometown. It was her father’s business initially but later on Jose take over the business after his father’s retirement. She’s been in the field for 5 years now and that’s how she decided to share the knowledge about Pressure Washer with other people. You can read more about her on the About Page.